Saturday, May 29, 2010

The iPad - What is it?


Computer have been grouped in categories. The categories have obviously evolved with the size of the computer and their technology. First there was the mainframe, followed by the mini-computer, then the desktop. The next set of categories referred to smaller and portable devices like laptops, netbooks, tablets, PDA's, smart phones, gaming devices and mobile gaming devices. I own an iPod Touch and have considered that to be a cross between a PDA and a gaming device.

Then came the iPad. I'm not sure how to categorize this device. I think it's too big to be a PDA and does not have sufficient functionality that could make it a computer or a smart phone. That leads me to think that it is a gaming device, or not. Or maybe it's trying to be everything to all users. It certainly can be versatile depending on the apps loaded. I have tried one and I cannot figure out what is trying to be.

Maybe that the genius of the iPad. It cannot be categorized or maybe it needs to be in its own category. Either way, it is an expensive device and I could not justify its hefty price tag as any kind of productivity tool or gaming device, and therefore, I'm not going to buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment